NBMDA develops and promotes the effectiveness of distribution processes to improve member profitability and growth.
The common link among NBMDA members is a commitment to increasing the effectiveness of the distribution process within the channel by providing quality products and top-notch, value-added customer service through partnership with their trading partners.
The North American Building Material Distribution Association (NBMDA) represents a network of distributors and manufacturers dedicated to pursuing the association's mission of developing and promoting the effectiveness of distribution processes to improve member profitability and growth.
NBMDA was founded in 1952 to serve the needs of building material distributors. As the needs of the industry change, so does NBMDA. NBMDA leaders recognize that in their efforts to strengthen the distribution channel, enhanced supplier involvement and increased partnering efforts are crucial. Therefore, associate members serve on the board of directors and executive committee and are active on association committees. In 1993, the NBMDA formed three customer-focused membership segments creating a structure for aligned distributors and manufacturers to work closer together to better serve their common customers. Additionally, product-focused segments are being developed in response to member needs and market issues.
In late 1994, NBMDA (formerly the National Building Material Distributors Association) merged with the Canadian National Building Material Distributors Association (CNBMDA) to form the North American Building Material Distribution Association (NBMDA). The newly formed association reflects the growing global scope of the distribution process.
NBMDA Timeline of Historical Events
- 1952 NBMDA founded in Chicago, Illinois as the National Building Material Distributor Association.
- 1964 NBMDA acquires the National Plywood Distributors Association (NPDA)
- 1987 NBMDA establishes its Education Foundation.
- 1992 NBMDA hires the professional association management firm of SmithBucklin Corporation to manage its affairs.
- 1993 NBMDA establishes its Cabinet Industry Distribution Alliance (CIDA) as a unique membership segment.
- 1994 Following its consolidation with the Canadian National Building Material Distributors Association (CNBMDA), NBMDA changes its name to the North American Building Material Distribution Association.
- 2000 NBMDA acquires the International Hardware Distributors Association (IHDA) and establishes its Wholesale Hardware Distribution Alliance (WHDA) as a unique membership segment.
- 2003 NBMDA establishes the Specialized Building Product Distribution (SBPD) and Cabinet Industry Distribution Alliance (CIDA) as its two primary membership segments.